A Brief History of Glendale's Forest Lawn Memorial Park

December 11, 2015

Founded in 1906, Glendale, CA’s Forest Lawn Memorial Park is widely considered one of the premier locations in California to be laid eternally to rest. Boasting lush grounds and elegant architecture, it was once referred to as “Disneyland for the dead.” Situated in the southern-most area of Glendale, it's truly a sight to behold and one of our city's landmarks. 

 

View some of its striking visuals:

 

It was originally conceived in 1906 by a group of San Francisco businessmen and founded as a not-for-profit cemetery. Six years later, it fell under the management of business partners Dr. Hubert Eaton and C. B. Sims. The former is widely credited with being the true "founder" of Forest Lawn Memorial Park. 

 

Eaton had always been bothered by the dire and depressing nature of traditional cemeteries, and wanted to create something that truly celebrated life after death. With this goal in mind, he then began implementing his vision, installing striking flora, water features, and statues onto the cemetery grounds.  

 

Today, Forest Lawn Memorial Park serves as more than a final resting place - events ranging from museum exhibitions to community fundraisers are regularly hosted on its grounds. The official calendar can be viewed here

 

Due to its prestige, it should be no surprise many prominent Hollywood stars now call Forest Lawn Memorial Park their permanent home. Curbed Los Angeles recently published a piece on the subject

 

It's open to visitors from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (6:00 p.m. during daylight savings time) seven days a week. 

 

MyGlendaleCityNews is your online hub for all official Glendale news and updates. To subscribe to our mailing list, click here.

 

Please reload

Please reload

  • Facebook - Black Circle
  • Twitter - Black Circle
  • YouTube - Black Circle
  • Instagram - Black Circle
  • LinkedIn - Black Circle

Glendale City Hall, 613 East Broadway

(818) 548-4844