On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me, a beautiful Christmas tree.
On the second day of Christmas my true love reminded me, “oh, look, you forgot to water the tree.”
On the third day of Christmas my true love said to me, “My goodness, fine, I’ll water the tree.”
On the fifth day of Christmas my true love said to me, “I have to go on a work trip, don’t forget to water the tree.”
By the 12th day of Christmas my true love came back to me, “why is the fire department here?”
It’s fun to decorate for the winter holidays, but holiday decorations can increase your risk for a home fire. These fires are usually caused by decorations, candles, and Christmas trees.
Did you know?
One of every four home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems.
Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious. On average, one of every 32 reported home Christmas tree fires results in a death compared to an average of one death per 143 total reported home fires.
A heat source too close to the tree causes one in every four Christmas tree fires.
The top three days for home candle fires are Christmas, New Year’s Day, and Christmas Eve.
Candles start two out of five home decoration structure fires.
So as you deck the halls this season, be fire smart.
Inspect holiday lights each year before you put them up. Throw away light strands with frayed or pinched wires.
Water your Christmas tree every day. A dry tree is dangerous because it can catch on fire easily.
Place Christmas trees away from any heat source.
Consider using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles.
If you do use lit candles, make sure they are in stable holders and place them where they cannot be knocked down easily.